ACT 153 Clearances for Volunteers
Act 153 defines volunteers as any adult applying for an unpaid position as a volunteer responsible for:
- the welfare of a child or
- having direct contact with children.
All volunteers who are subject to background check clearances are required to re-certify their clearances every FIVE years.
Act 153 requires volunteers to obtain the following clearances:
- Report of criminal history from the Pennsylvania State Police: Go to https://epatch.state.pa.us. There is NO CHARGE for requests for the purpose of volunteering. For step-by-step directions, see this doucment.
- Child Abuse History Clearance from the Department of Human Services: Apply online at https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS. Once you create an account you will receive an email with your password. Log in to the website and complete the clearance application. There is NO COST for volunteers. For step-by-step directions, see this document.
- An affidavit may be accepted in lieu of the fingerprint based Federal Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) – FBI Report if:
- The position the volunteer is applying for is an unpaid position, and
- The volunteer has not lived outside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the last 10 years.
- If both of these situations apply to you, complete this form and submit it to the school.
- If #3 above does NOT apply (i.e. you meet one of the conditions below), a fingerprint-based Federal Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) – FBI Report through IDEMIA (Morpho Trust) is required due to one of the following:
- The position the volunteer is applying for is a paid position, OR
- The volunteer has lived outside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the last 10 years.
Register online at https://uenroll.identogo.com 24 hours/day, seven days per week or by telephone (1-844-321-2101) Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 p.m. EST.
Enter the specific code for Pennsylvania - PDE School Districts which is “1KG6Y3”. Using the correct service code is important. If an applicant proceeds with the process under the incorrect code, the pre-enrollment and/or results cannot be transferred to another state agency and the applicant will have to start the process over and pay for the background check again.
Proceed through the process selecting a fingerprint location and appointment date and time. There is a payment fee of $22.60 for the fingerprint service and to secure an unofficial copy of the Criminal History
Record. Major credit cards as well as money orders or cashier’s checks will be accepted. No cash transaction or personal checks are allowed. State or Federal photo ID is necessary for fingerprint processing.
Applicants must present the IdentoGo receipt provided at the fingerprint center (which includes their UEID) to Central Fulton School District.